Death toll from Congo boat accident rises to 40 – interior minister

KINSHASA, April 20 (Reuters) – Twenty-seven more people have been found dead from a boat accident on Lake Kivu in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo last week, bringing the total death toll to 40, interim interior minister Basile Olongo told Reuters on Saturday.

The bodies were discovered across the border on the eastern shore of the lake in Rwanda, Olongo said.

The boat was carrying nearly 200 people when it capsized. Over 100 remain missing.

(Reporting By Stanis Bujakera and Fiston Mahamba; Writing by Edward McAllister, Editing by William Maclean)

Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

1
Hello,
Can you tell us something
Powered by