The Global Catholic Education project, co-sponsored by 4 international organizations (OIEC, IFCU, OMAEC and UMEC-WUCT), has released data on Catholic education in the world. From the latter we learn that:
- Worldwide, about62 million children are enrolled in Catholic schools;
- 6 million students are being formed in Catholic higher education institutions;
- More than 50%of primary school pupils come from Africa;
- Indiacontinues to be the country with the highest number of children enrolled in Catholic schools, followed by the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Uganda, Kenya and Malawi.
- In Salesian schools, in 134 countries of the world, 940,000 students are trained, while in vocational training centersthere are 200,300 students.