Uniting Thought and Action This Earth Day- Everyone Accounted for, Everyone Accountable
Washington, D.C. (January 12, 2022)– EARTHDAY.ORG (EDO), the global organizer of Earth Day and largest recruiter of environmental movements worldwide, is kicking off the 100-day countdown to Earth Day 2023 by announcing five feature programs serving as pillars of action in honor of this year’s theme, Invest in Our Planet. A continuation of 2022’s theme, Invest in Our Planet is focused on engaging governments, institutions, businesses, and the more than 1 billion citizens who participate annually in Earth Day to do their part – everyone accounted for, everyone accountable.
EARTHDAY.ORG sees opportunity in 2023 to right the wrongs of past actions. To build a new version of society where fossil fuels, plastic pollution, and excessive carbon emissions are eliminated. Major ways to construct this new version of society include:
- Plant trees. The Canopy Project empowers conservation and restoration efforts around the globe by offering individuals the opportunity to strengthen their communities and fight against climate change in hope for a greener future.
- End fast fashion. By addressing the public’s lack of understanding about the inner workings of the fashion industry, Fashion for the Earth calls on the youth of the world to take a proactive approach in addressing the industry’s environmental impacts.
- End plastic pollution. Plastic pollution impacts every single organism on our planet. On Earth Day, and every other day, people can take action to lessen the problem. The Great Global Cleanup calls on all governments, institutions, and individuals worldwide to help fight the man-made environmental crisis while also working to improve habitats and prevent harm to wildlife and humans, moving towards a cleaner planet.
- Equitable education. As we continue in the race against climate change, building a brighter future requires an urgent prioritization of climate education and environmental literacy. The Climate Education and Environmentally Literacy Campaign is igniting an educational revolution to ensure students receive high quality education regardless of where they are in the world, empowering them to be engaged and informed environmental stewards.
- Vote for the Earth. Democracy only works when everyone votes. For true environmental and climate leadership, individuals need to make it impossible for politicians to run for office without leading as environmental champions. Vote Earth encourages individuals to use their voting power to support government policies put forward to protect our environment.
“Earth Day is about the billions of individual actions taken worldwide towards a greener, more equitable future. We have the money, the ingenuity, and the resources,” said Kathleen Rogers, President of EARTHDAY.ORG, “if governments, institutions, businesses, and individuals each Invest in Our Planet by allocating time, money, innovation, and social commitment towards these areas of action we can solve climate change.”
For more information on Earth Day 2023, the official theme, updates, and how to get involved, please visit: https://www.earthday.org/earth-day-2023/